We’ve shared some of our favorite craft room organization tips in a prior post, but getting organized for crafting away from home can be difficult too. Today we are sharing some of our favorite tips to get organized and packed for a “Crop”. This can include attending the monthly “Creative Weekend” here at Palette & Paper or other “Crop” events.
No doubt about it, packing up for a Crop can seem a little overwhelming at first. The last thing you want to do is forget something important, but you also don’t want to pack so much that you don’t have room for it all at your crop table nor lug stuff around that never gets used.
Here are a few things I try to do in preparation for the Creative Weekend/Crop:
1. Refer to my “Project List” and hone in on a couple that I want to tackle at the Crop. (Note: I keep a running Google Document filled with ideas of things I want to make, inspiration pictures, etc. Since I dabble in a lot of different types of crafts this helps me determine what I want to focus on. You could keep a similar list written in your planner or in the notes section on your phone.)
2. Once I have determined which projects I want to focus on, I re-edit my list based on time limitations. I have a good idea of how long something will take me to complete, so if I pick two 4-hour projects and a 2-hour project for a day-long crop that is probably a good amount to pack up. If I realize my list includes about 20 hours of craft time for a day-long crop then I know I need to edit my focus!
3. With my projects in mind I start another Google Document (again, you can use pen and paper, notes on your phone, etc.) that includes my packing list of all of the items I will need to create my projects. I try to leave nothing to assumptions and even write the most basic essential items* (including scissors, paper trimmer, etc.).
4. In the days leading up to the Crop I review my list and make adjustments as needed – adding items or taking them away as I may adjust my project list.
5. A few days before the Crop I try to make sure I have everything I need.
6. Prior to the Crop, I print off my project and item lists and start packing (I’ll be honest, this usually happens the night before or the morning of, but with my printed list it makes things so much easier!).
7. Just like when I pack for a vacation, when I pack for the Crop I mark off each item as it goes into my bag.
8. Once I arrive at the Crop, my project list comes in handy also. It helps keep me on track to actually accomplish things vs. just staring at others’ crafty goodness and talking (granted, both of these are fun too!).
Here’s a quick look at items I consider essential and always bring with me to Crops:
If starting a list from scratch is a bit overwhelming, click here for a list to get your started.
Hopefully, this blog post will help you pack for futures Crops. Be sure to mark your calendar for the Creative Weekend at Palette & Paper being held July 7-9. The one this weekend is sold out! Can’t wait to see what everyone packs and creates!
Do you have any tips for packing for a Crop? Please share below!
Palette & Paper's blog is written by various creative team members.
Have an idea for a blog post? Leave us a comment!